Friday, January 23, 2009

Diet: The Cookie Diet

It's a hot diet -- the Cookie Diet. A doctor claims you can lose weight by eating his special cookies. Dr. Siegal does recommend exercise with his diet along with taking supplements.

The diet was introduced by Dr. Sanford Siegal of Siegal Medical Group in Miami. He says these carefully crafted cookies suppress your hunger throughout the day. You only eat one meal consisting of 6 oz. of lean meat (red meat is discouraged because of the high fat content) and one cup of steamed vegetables. You just have to make sure you eat 6 of these cookies.

Dr Siegal’s COOKIE DIET® Hunger-Controlling Diet Cookies Our famous cookies were created by Dr. Siegal in 1975 to control your hunger and help you stick to your diet. Each Weekly Box contains 7 Daily Bags of 6 cookies each and replaces 14 meals at a cost of about $4.20 per replaced meal when used as suggested. Includes a free one week sample of Dr. Siegal’s COOKIE DIET® brand Premium Multiple Vitamin & Minerals supplement. Flavors: Oatmeal Raisin, Chocolate, Blueberry, Banana and Coconut.

Price: $59 per Weekly Box (about $4.20 per replaced meal)


CONTAINS: Milk, Eggs, Soy, Wheat and Non-Vegetable Protein


Dr. Sanford Siegal's COOKIE DIETâ„¢


- Eat when you are hungry up to 6 cookies a day

- The amino acids in the cookie increases your metabolism and steers off hunger

- Also, cut out sodas, fast food, red meat and sweets

- And incorporate exercise into your weight loss program

- Take a good multi-vitamin along with calcium and omega 3 fish oil



Diet in a Bag

Ela Prieto, a 39-year-old bank executive, lost 51 pounds, shrinking from a size 14 to a size 4. She was on the cookie diet for four and a half months, and then went off the diet and onto a maintenance program for the last two years, on which she eats about 1,200 calories a day, and exercises.

"The first five days, like on every diet, it's not easy," Prieto said. But instead of toting around a salad or a TV dinner, she just put her cookies in a Ziploc bag and kept them with her.

"And I'm not hungry," she said. "The cookies do satisfy."

They cookies are available in chocolate, raisin or coconut — but flavorful, they're not.

"They're not the world's best cookies — but they weren't intended to be," Siegal said. The makers or Oreos and Mrs. Fields shouldn't lose any sleep, he said.

The cookies themselves are low in fiber and two of the flavors are high in saturated fat, which can raise the risk of heart disease, Campbell said.

"Practically anyone who consumes only 800 calories per day will lose weight — the point is that, again, it's not a healthful way to lose weight," she said.

Not Enough Carbs?

Connie Diekman, the director of university nutrition at Washington University in St. Louis, was similarly unimpressed.

The six cookies daily supply a total of 60 grams of carbohydrates, which when added to the 10 from vegetables make the carbohydrate intake a total of 70 grams per day — much below the 100 to 125 grams per day minimum for health, Diekman said. Calorie-wise, each cookie is like a slice of bread, a nutritional mix of several different food types that is probably equivalent to half a serving of lowfat dairy, and half a fruit serving.

"Again, this is a low-carb, low-calorie eating plan that will promote weight loss, but not necessarily body fat change, making it a less-than-healthy choice," she said.

Siegal said that the cookie diet is not something patients would stay on permanently.

"It depends on how much weight you have to lose. Three out of four lose 15 pounds a month," Siegal said. "No one will follow a diet for a lifetime, so we change the method to get them to burn up more calories."

Although five pounds a month is often cited as a sustainable level of weight loss, Siegal says the quicker the better.

"The only people we see who maintain their weight are those who get to the goal set before them," Siegal said.
ABC News: The Cookie Diet

Posted using ShareThis

UPDATE: In The News Dr Siegals COOKIE DIET
SUCCESS STORY / SHERYL CAUTERO, 52

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

> Former weight: 224 pounds

> Current weight: 150 pounds

> Pounds lost: 74

> Height: 5 feet 4 inches

> How long she’s kept it off: Nearly two years. “I started Dr. Siegal’s Cookie Diet (www.cookiediet.com) in October 2005 and reached my goal in April 2006,” says Cautero.

> Personal life: “I work as a senior group project manager and senior executive assistant to the president and CEO of a large advertising firm in Buckhead,” says Cautero. “My husband, Charlie, and I moved here from West Palm Beach, Fla., a little over a year ago.” They live in Milton.

> Turning point: “After looking at a photograph of me that was taken at my stepson’s wedding, I felt ashamed that I had let myself get so heavy. I stared at that photo and sobbed,” she says. “For the better part of my first 49 years, I had been on every diet you could name. I was determined to spend the next 50 years thin instead of fat. A friend of ours had been on Dr. Siegal’s Cookie Diet and she was getting miraculous results, but I was very skeptical; I couldn’t imagine eating cookies during the day and then just having dinner. With much coaxing, I decided to try Dr. Siegal’s Cookie Diet. I had results like no other diet I had ever experienced. I consistently lost two to three pounds each week. My doctor kept a close eye on me the entire time, and he was equally thrilled by the results.”

> Diet plan: For breakfast and lunch, she eats the meal-replacement cookies, which come in oatmeal raisin, chocolate, blueberry, banana and coconut. For dinner she eats a low-fat dinner of lean protein and two servings of vegetables. “Of course I always save a cookie for my snack in the evening. Drinking lots of water plays a big role in helping to keep satisfied,” she says.

> Exercise routine: “It wasn’t until after I lost all the weight that I started to exercise. Walking works the best for me, and a little weight resistance training,” she says.

> Biggest challenge: “The biggest challenge always is the little voice you hear inside that encourages you to go ahead and have a little, it won’t hurt,” she says.

> How life has changed: “My life has always been wonderful, but now when I look in the mirror I really love what I see —- I feel beautiful,” she says.

UPDATE: February 9, 2009 TIMES
Med watch: Dr. Siegal's Cookie Diet

No comments:

Post a Comment